Saturday, June 25, 2011

Practice Sketch: Josh


Super rough (keyword!) sketch of another one of my
awesome co-workers (and easily the funniest guy I know), Josh!  

Even though I'm still not finished with the big side project I've been working on, I had a little "incident" at work that I feel compelled to illustrate as a comic.  Josh will make an appearance in it, so I started doodling some practice sketches of him.  Despite the look of the sketch, I don't want this comic to be very detailed/realistic, so I'll need to reduce down his features into more generic, cartoony forms than what you see here.  I'm not sure what sort of style I'll be working with just yet though--need to do some more sketches first.

Odd little note:  Even when drawing them as cartoons, I tend to draw real people in different style than if I were to just make someone up.  I figure it's because I try really hard to capture some defining physical characteristics of that person so that even the cartoon versions bare some resemblance to their real-world counterparts (like good caricatures).  Unless I'm going for a very specific visual style, I don't usually draw real people with features so generic they can represent pretty much anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment