Saturday, October 22, 2011

Homemade Candy Skulls!

The DuPage Derby Dames Halloween Bowl-A-Rama Fundraiser is this Sunday night!  My original plan was to contribute to both the craft table and the bake sale, but because of family-related insanity, I'm afraid I only had enough time to commit to one :(  I already bought all of my supplies for making Halloween-themed chocolate-covered pretzel rods, so the bake sale won out.

I'll be spending all day tomorrow making the pretzel rods and some chocolate lollies, but I spent the last couple of nights making another ghoulish-looking treat to accompany them:  Candy skulls!

Deliciously Gruesome!


1 white (vanilla), 1 red (also vanilla) and 1 chocolate!


Each skull is about the size of a baseball, if not a little larger.


The skulls are completely 3-dimensional and entirely edible.  And, if you crack the skulls open, you'll find that their brain cavities are infested with gummy worms.  Bwah ha ha ha!  >:P

I may or may not be a disturbed individual...

In case anyone is wondering about the process, I basically just partially filled a store-bought mold with enough Wilton's brand candy melts to coat the surface of the mold--I didn't want to fill the mold entirely because I wanted to have a hollow cavity to fill with gummy worms.  After the skull "shells" hardened in the freezer, I punched holes in the eye sockets and slipped a gummy worm through.  I crammed a fist full of worms in one of the skull halves and then used more melted candy to cement the front and back halves of the skulls together.

At this point, the skulls were really smooth and shiny (except for around the "seam").  It was pretty, but I wanted the skulls to have more of an aged or antiqued look to them.  In order to achieve this, I smeared small amounts of the chocolate melts all over the skulls to emulate the look of dirt and decay. 

I only made 4 for the fundraiser (and one of them might be raffled off as a prize).  So, if you want to get your hands on one, you'll have to stop by!

Or you can always commission one from me...  But you really ought to come to the fundraiser, too! ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment