Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Infamous Jungle Room Brawl

It's finally here!  The DuPage Derby Dames will finally have their first, home bouting season!  To kick it off in style, we'll be hosting an exhibition bout in honor of Elvis Presley's 76th birthday January 7th!  In addition to a bunch of lovely ladies on skates, there will also be an Elvis impersonator entertaining the masses, so come one, come all!  Seriously!  Bring everyone you know and cheer on your favorite Derby Dame!  (Me.  I meant me.  :P)

Aaaaaand just so you knooooow, a portion of the proceeds from the night will benefit Gigi's Playhouse Down Syndrome Awareness Center!  That's right.  As bad-arse as derby girls are, we all have hearts of gold!

Here's the flyer with all the info!

I don't like how you still can't see the full-size image when you click on it :/ 
If it's too small to see all the details, just right-click and select "view image" to take you to the full-size.

You might notice that I didn't redraw the same derby girl that I had used in the last 2 fundraiser posters.  This one is actually loosely based on our own Millie Brawl (sans glasses)!

Close-up!

In an attempt to tie The King into the drawing without resorting to a bouffant and rhinestone-studded jumpsuit, I tried to mimic the costume and classic pose of his from Jailhouse Rock. In fact, I printed out the original photograph and then sketched on top of it to get the pose as accurate as possible.  I scanned the entire page at 300 dpi, then doubled the size.  I used this as my sketch layer and then inked and colored on separate layers in photoshop with the help of my trusty tablet. 

Again, I was working on an extremely tight schedule (my brother's wedding is in 2 days) so the drawing here was left at flat colors.  I plan on eventually going back in to add shading--perhaps for the bout programs.  For the time being, however, this will do. 

I'm also thinking that from now on (or at least as often as possible) I might choose actual members of our team to base my future derby girl drawings off of.  Would be kind of fun, no?  Realistically I don't know that I'd ever be able to draw everybody, so I'll have to come up with a fair system.  I'll post about that here once I've figured that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment